It All Starts Here

Sometimes our ideas flow from an existing kit to bash, a house style to scratch (aka custom) build, or from an interesting doll who needs a place to live. Our settings are always modern-day (ca. 2001 when we started this hobby). We try to create things that will make people smile and feel good.

We think that if we had to build the same house twice, we literally could not do it! Fortunately, we have very unique little people who have definite opinions and so far, no one has wanted a house “like so-and-so” has.

We work as a family unit: my wonderful husband, my beautiful sister, and I. We don't always agree as to the direction of the build, but I think that we end up with a better dollhouse because of all our grumblings -- and we do have a lot of fun!

The Purpose of this Blog

We needed a place for all we wanted to say about the background of the build and the nuts and bolts of the design and build process. Thus this blog.

All our dolls' homes have families living in them and a story is built around their personalities and lifestyles. This story is an integral part of our building process. We would like to share these stories -- actually, the little people insist upon it!

Many of our houses are located in Fredericksburg, Virginia because that is my sister's favorite place.

Also, we have started a Rouges' Gallery with photos of our little people and information about the dolls.

If you would like to start with the dollhouse that "started it all", it is the Original Rowbottom Manse; if you would like to see the scratch-built Georgian that our first build gave us the confidence (or fool-hardiness) to do, it is Sunnybrook Farm.

Let the stories begin!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Interior Design-Den, Library, & Rear Hall: La Malcontenta

These are the “almost” there, but not quite there, rooms on the second floor: the den, library niche, and the second floor landing. This blog is mainly me trying to work things out. The second floor floor plan is in the previous post.

 The Den:

I did find some Bespaq Art Deco for the den: a chest of drawers (right),3 end tables, a china cabinet (next to fireplace), and a coffee table. I’m sure there were sofas somewhere, but at least I did find nice, comfy, white upholstered chairs. The Brooke Tucker lamp (right) was a great find. I did find a "Spanish"-looking sofa with red upholstered seat at HBS, and a great fireplace and rug. One of the problems with this room is that I was never sure exactly what I wanted, so I guess I could never find what I wanted!
Den, unfinished, but close--from fireplace to Spanish sofa.
Basically, I like it but it still needs ….
1. I have a cornice that I will stain to match the woodwork. With that I would like to add plain (?), stained wood at and onto the ceiling. The room is large (15 3/8" x 24/25" x 10”) so I think a dark stain will work out.
2. The chair rail has a top and bottom piece to be glued.

Close-up. I love the fireplace, rug, and "ancestor" paintings. The arched doorway goes to the stair landing.
So much for the easy part:
I am not happy with the lighting/lack of lighting, except for the Brooke Tucker lamp. The brass 4-light chandelier is nicer than in the picture, but still not quite right here. I am thinking of this Clare-Bell black, 6-light chandelier.
Clare-Bell 6-light black chandelier
This room is 24/25” deep with 10” ceilings. It needs light throughout the room and particularly at the back (fireplace end).

For the white-sofa wall (right near fireplace), these Art Nouveau Dolls’ House Emporium sconces may look good on either side of the painting. I do have a slight problem of how to run/hide the wires for sconces at this point!

Art Nouveau sconce
 On the left side, I thought this Dolls’ House Emporium brass floor lamp had possibilities between the white chairs.
Brass floor lamp
I thought another one could work at the left side of the red Spanish sofa. I will buy these lights—if I don’t use them here, I will use them elsewhere--and, besides, Andrew wanted to buy the Clare-Bell chandelier more than a month ago. If these lights work out, then I will see if I need lights above the “ancestor” pictures, also.

 Second  floor landing and Library Niche:
Library niche and stair landing.
The stair landing looks “blah”. I think the “wrought iron” railing (made from plastic fence) painted gloss black, and then by using the same fencing to make a railing outside the back window will improve it. I think I need some interesting pictures to liven the area. Hmm…I could add the same DHE sconces as for the den on both sides of the back window, to add interest, also
Sconces for landing?

Library looking toward "stairs" to attic rooms
At the rear of the landing on the right, are "stairs". These stairs have only three steps to give the impression of a full staircase. They “go” to a mythical hallway behind the rooms in the attic.

The front bookcase is a OOAK found at a dollhouse shop. I made a companion piece from bashing two hutches from a local craft store.
Two OOAK bookcases; smaller one made by me.
The chairs are Bespaq and the tables are vintage Sonia Messer. The wallpaper is real house wallpaper, the "divider" is a Unique Miniatures ceiling applique used vertically, and the rug is a piece of cream color valour fabric.

Gee… this blog has been good therapy. I feel much better now! Thanks for listening to me babble!

1 comment:

  1. I think the rooms are coming along well and I agree about the new chandelier in the den. The bookcases are terrific! How clever to make a companion bookcase. I like the idea of the sconces in the landing.

    ReplyDelete