It All Starts Here

Sometimes our ideas flow from an existing kit to bash, a house style to scratch (aka custom) build, or from an interesting doll who needs a place to live. Our settings are always modern-day (ca. 2001 when we started this hobby). We try to create things that will make people smile and feel good.

We think that if we had to build the same house twice, we literally could not do it! Fortunately, we have very unique little people who have definite opinions and so far, no one has wanted a house “like so-and-so” has.

We work as a family unit: my wonderful husband, my beautiful sister, and I. We don't always agree as to the direction of the build, but I think that we end up with a better dollhouse because of all our grumblings -- and we do have a lot of fun!

The Purpose of this Blog

We needed a place for all we wanted to say about the background of the build and the nuts and bolts of the design and build process. Thus this blog.

All our dolls' homes have families living in them and a story is built around their personalities and lifestyles. This story is an integral part of our building process. We would like to share these stories -- actually, the little people insist upon it!

Many of our houses are located in Fredericksburg, Virginia because that is my sister's favorite place.

Also, we have started a Rouges' Gallery with photos of our little people and information about the dolls.

If you would like to start with the dollhouse that "started it all", it is the Original Rowbottom Manse; if you would like to see the scratch-built Georgian that our first build gave us the confidence (or fool-hardiness) to do, it is Sunnybrook Farm.

Let the stories begin!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Still here and STILL re-organizing!!!

First let me say that I am reading everyone's posts, I just have not been responding. This should improve shortly.

I thought that even though I haven't done much about miniatures lately, I should at least post about how much time and dog-work and money this making a better workshop has become. For a while, I was trying to work on my houses amid the havoc, but that didn't work out too well. So I decided to concentrate on organizing -- besides I couldn't find half my stuff! By tomorrow I should be able to do mini-work in almost finished new surroundings--thank heavens!

I am happy with the result. I now have new shelving (Home Depot had just the right shelving units) and lots of new plastic bins with covers from Walmart for my things. Both stores have thanked me for improving their cash flow (of course, I am now broke so my little people will have to wait a while for new shoes). Fortunately, some of my existing shelves were ok but just needed some better bins. My bins are even getting Labeled!

My workarea will always look like a basement since we do not intend to turn it into finished rooms, but it just had to look better and less messy. Sadly, it took more than a month (and more than a few dollars) and it is not entirely finished, but 1000% better!

I tried to take some pictures of my new work area and "miniature village" but my basement is not a rectangle and the stairs come down somewhat oddly placed so it is hard to get nicely constructed views. It does look good "in person", though.

Re-organizing has been exhausting--I hope never to have to do it again!

Some views:
Next time I should have some mini work to show.