First let me say that I am reading everyone's posts, I just have not been responding. This should improve shortly.
I thought that even though I haven't done much about miniatures lately, I should at least post about how much time and dog-work and money this making a better workshop has become. For a while, I was trying to work on my houses amid the havoc, but that didn't work out too well. So I decided to concentrate on organizing -- besides I couldn't find half my stuff! By tomorrow I should be able to do mini-work in almost finished new surroundings--thank heavens!
I am happy with the result. I now have new shelving (Home Depot had just the right shelving units) and lots of new plastic bins with covers from Walmart for my things. Both stores have thanked me for improving their cash flow (of course, I am now broke so my little people will have to wait a while for new shoes). Fortunately, some of my existing shelves were ok but just needed some better bins. My bins are even getting Labeled!
My workarea will always look like a basement since we do not intend to turn it into finished rooms, but it just had to look better and less messy. Sadly, it took more than a month (and more than a few dollars) and it is not entirely finished, but 1000% better!
I tried to take some pictures of my new work area and "miniature village" but my basement is not a rectangle and the stairs come down somewhat oddly placed so it is hard to get nicely constructed views. It does look good "in person", though.
Re-organizing has been exhausting--I hope never to have to do it again!